Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Blog 9

The Cemetery
            I have passed by this cemetery plenty of times, not once was I ever bothered by it or even freaked out about passing it. I remember looking at this cemetery, the one so close to home and feeling some type of sadness to all of the people; who have lost their lives for whatever reason it may have been.  I felt sorrow for those families who had to burry a beloved one, felt sorrow because a cemetery is a lonely place filled with tombstones that symbolizes the year of birth to the year of death. I felt all of this because I didn't know anyone that was buried in this cemetery.  But little did I know that this will change one day, that it would come unexpected and that this cemetery will change everything.
            It was a bright sunny, breezy early morning as I get ready for my first day at a new job.  May the month that summer isn't far away; in fact, it seems to be here sooner than most previous years. I woke up extra early, I didn't want to be late for my first day, and I wanted to make a good impression. I made myself a cup of coffee, to wake me up even more from the lack of sleep of the night before. I wasn't able to sleep many hours; I would toss and turn every hour feeling worried, scared and even nervous about this new job.  Coffee has become my rescuer from this sleepiness that overshadows my body. As I begin preparing my toast with almond butter, I hear my phone ring; it was the sound of my text messaging.
            I felt happy, thinking it was my best friend sending me a message wishing me best of luck on my new job position. But slowly the happiness that I was feeling drifts away and I begin to feel sick to my stomach as I realize what was being sent to me. The message was far from a good luck wish, instead it was shocking. “So Ashli’s mom called saying Ashli is in an induced coma,” were the words I read as I opened the message. Josh had texted all of us, who were close to Ashli, this message and in a matter of minutes everyone flooded him with questions. Questions of how, why and when did it happen, were all asked with no clear answer.
            At first I thought it was a horrible and wrong joke that was being portrayed as a prank or even a cry of attention. I couldn't accept the fact that she was in an induced coma, when days ago she couldn't wait to celebrate her birthday. She first wanted to gather a group of friends and head down to Atlantic City for her birthday weekend the first week of June. But shortly after, she decided to go out for drinks at the local bar Nugent’s on a Friday night, then on Saturday she wanted to head to a strip club with her main guys, afterwards have dinner with everyone. This was more like Ashli, always being the life of the group and captivating us with her laughter.
            So many thoughts were running through my mind, if my nerves were in a knot already, they were in a tighter knot after that message. I wanted to head down to the hospital to see her, but I know I couldn't do anything and I couldn't miss my first day either. I kept in touch with Josh, my best friend whenever I had a chance to see if there was any news about her. As the day went by, we all wondered what was happening and we all maintained in touch with each other. We didn't have much news until the next day when we were told that she was being transferred from St. Barnabas to Beth Israel hospital.
            The first weekend; Memorial Day, the weekend when the beaches would officially open has turned to become the weekend of wonder, nervousness and worrying. Sunday, was the day I was able to see my dearest friend, I went with my boyfriend John and my best friend Melany. Beth Israel is so close to home, but it was an unfamiliar place, a strange place for me. I felt a feeling of uneasiness as I approached the front desk to find out where my beloved friend stayed while in a coma. We were all handed a pass to be allowed in, but I couldn't find myself to look at it to know what floor or room she was in; even though I knew she wasn't in any regular floor. My gut feeling was right; as the elevator doors open we were welcomed to an unwanted place of the intensive care unit.  I knew from this moment on that this intensive care unit will carry the burden of the horrible sickness that has captured my dearest friend. Her father, Mr. A, as I like to call him explained to each one of us about his daughter’s critical condition. I couldn't help to feel sad for him and the family; I know that deep inside they were aching of a heart break because no one wants to see their baby girl in such critical condition.
            Only two people at a time were allowed to be in the room, so only one of us could go since her mom wouldn't move away from her side. Others went before us three, and then John went which seemed like a life time until his return. I waited along side with Melany, but I was nervous, afraid, my heart beating rapidly until it was finally my turn. I followed Mr. A down the never-ending, white walled hallway that has been tainted with so many losses. I've been to hospitals plenty of times before, but never have I felt so scared, uneasy as I did with every step I took.  I couldn't breath, every time we got closer to where she was I felt like I was being suffocated. The last place I would want her to be in would be in a hospital, let alone in an induce coma and the worst part was not knowing what exactly was going on with her. As we arrive to her room, I am welcomed by the blue room she is in, but sadden to see a room full of machines, each one echoing a different sound. I couldn't help, but to notice how tiny she looked lying in that big hospital bed, how tiny she looked even though she wasn't really tall. But what hurt the most was seeing her, my closest friend, attached to so many machines and with a tube down her throat. I became still, almost statue-like, like I was trapped in this horrible nightmare that I couldn't wake up from. I snapped out of this nightmare when Mr. A introduced me to Ashli’s mother, who in so many ways Ashli resembled her. I smiled at her, she smiled back, but I just couldn't contain myself, I needed to give her a big hug. We hugged each other for which it seemed forever. Without saying one word, we knew what we were feeling and thinking just in that one hug.
            Sitting next to her was comforting and devastating all wrapped up in a bow just waiting to be knotted. I sat next to her, having small talk about Ashli’s condition, how it all happened so fast and what the doctors are doing. I couldn't say much with the little knowledge I have when it comes to situations like this. She was very positive, always smiling, just like Ashli, now I can see where she got her personality from. I tried to be strong for her, I couldn't let her see that deep within I wanted to burst out in tears, yell at God for this wrong doing, to slap the person that told Ashli she was fine when she really wasn't  to hug my dearest friend, who was neither here or gone. I wanted to say so many things, but nothing seemed to come out at that moment. I watched Ashli from the side, seeing her in this unwanted place, wishing that something needs to be done to help her. I was trying so hard, but so hard not to let her mom notice that I was shaking from head to toe. I knew that deep inside of her, she knew that this wasn't going to be easy and figured out that I was thinking the same.
            After seeing my friend in such a horrible condition, I couldn't think about anything else other than her. After leaving the hospital, I exchanged numbers with Mr. A so I can keep in touch with him as well as keep friends up to date with her situation. Days went by and her condition remained the same. It was until couple of days before her 25th birthday, that she woke up from the coma. We were all excited to know that our friend has finally woken up from the coma and that she will be able to see each one of us, but at the same time that excitement turned into questions regarding if she was fine, functioning and if she will recognize us. Even though she woke up from the coma, there was lack of oxygen to her brain. Mr. A planned a get together of family and friends to come down to the hospital for Ashli’s birthday. Each one of us brought balloons, flowers and cards with special messages inside. Melany and I, we bought a birthday card together, so we would go inside Ashli’s room and read our beautiful card to her. Melany and I are very close, we have been through many things in our lives that brought us close, but Ashli’s birthday was the day we needed each other the most.
            Everyone was in the waiting room, all waiting to see beautiful Ashli, talking, laughing and enjoying each other’s company. When it came down to us, Melany was there by my side and this was it for us. This was it for us because we were nervous, scared, emotional and sad that we would have to read a birthday card to our beloved friend in a place that no one wanted her to celebrate in. When we arrived to her room, Ashli was no longer lying down from the last time I saw her, she was sitting up, leaning a bit forward, but I guess it was due to the position the bed was placed on. We both began whispering her name, Melany had the courage to touch her hand, something I was not able to do just yet.  I began reading our birthday card to her; I couldn't help myself from shaking or even stopping the tears streaming down my face. I read to her, the part that I wrote, wishing her to fight this up to when she is better that we would all hang out just to hear her laugh. At this point, I tried to read more, but the words wouldn't come out, it was hard to swallow, to keep calm and to stop crying. As Melany stood by her side, reading her part, I couldn't do anything else, but stand beside her and cry on her shoulders.
            I knew from this moment on, just seeing Ashli in this condition, the way that she looked and how slowly her vital organs would give their all, was the moment that I knew something will happen soon. Leaving with the image of her will stay with me forever, I knew she heard us and I believe that deep inside Ashli is screaming to come out and face the world again. We all were hopeful that things would be better from this day on and that she would make progress. I kept in touch with Mr. A every day, asking him how she was doing, what were the doctors saying, and if any tests were being performed. Once he would respond I would text everyone his response and keep everyone aware of what was happening.
            When Thursday came around, I wasn't able to speak with Mr. A at all that day. It was a busy and hectic day for me, working two jobs and then I was meeting up with a friend for coffee before she left on vacation. At the same time I wanted to give him a break because all week he would get text message after text message from me. But something strange was going on, when I was having coffee with my friend, my phone would ring like crazy. I was getting text after text from Josh, asking me if I spoke to Ashli’s dad today and when I was about to respond I get a phone call from my best buddy Cory.  Both were asking me if I spoke to Mr. A at all today, which I thought was strange because they wouldn't ask me this for any reason without knowing something I didn't know. Once I left my coffee date with my friend, I called Cory back to speak with him more openly when I was driving back home.
            When I was three houses away from mine, Mr. A calls me on the other line, so I hang up on Cory and I begin talking to Mr. A. He begins by apologizing for calling me at such late hour, but that he had some serious news to tell me. He said that Ashli had two surgeries, both of which the doctors found that the viral infection that she had had taken over her lungs and other vital organs. He said that the way she is now is not the way she is, he said that this isn't my daughter and we don’t want our daughter to be tied to a hospital bed forever. So he said that tomorrow, at 11:30 a.m. the family will turn off the life support machine. He asked me to tell everyone, who is able to come, to come by the hospital at 11:00 a.m. to say our final goodbyes.
            It was the most heart-breaking words anyone has ever said to me and all I kept thinking was how I am going to tell everyone else. I remember walking into my living room, after hanging up with Mr. A, crying so much that nothing came out of my mouth other than, “Ashli, Ashli, and Ashli.” My mom hugged me so tight and I broke down and cried even more because without saying what happened she already knew. “Who do I call first, How will I break the news, Why am I the one to give such sad news to the friends I love that our beloved friend is waiting for our goodbyes,” was all I kept thinking about. I knew that the first thing I needed to do was calm myself down, that being nervous wouldn't get me anywhere near to what needed to be said. Thursday night was the worst, the most heart-breaking and painful night in my entire twenty three years of life.
            I told everyone, we all agreed to arrive at the same time, but I know that they were all hiding their feelings deep inside and I knew that even though I wasn't with them when they cried, I  knew to be their rock in all of this. The next day, morning comes as we all arrive at the hospital walking almost mummy-like. Once again, we were all in that waiting room as everyone goes in to say good bye in pairs of two’s. Melany and I wanted to go in with each other, so as we wait for Josh and Vania to return, we are filled with sadness and sorrow. As we walk half way down the hall, I needed to stop for a minute before actually doing this. I couldn't breath, I didn't want to be here, and I wanted to run away or even pinch myself to wake up from this horrifying nightmare. I tried to pull myself together, but it wasn't working, I began tearing up just as we stand outside her room. We walked in together, stood by her side, I took her cold hand and I whispered her name. She opened up her eyes, but as soon as we started to tell her our last words, she closed her eyes as if she knew something was happening to her, as if she didn't want to hear these words just yet. I began crying so much that I turned to Melany and said, “I can’t do this right now,” as I turned to walk to the hallway for a breather. I heard Melany talking to her as I tried to calm myself more and I wasn't ready just yet to leave without telling her what she means to me.
            I walk to where Melany was beside Ashli, I grab her hand one more time and said, “Ashli, I love you, I will miss you and I know that you will be up in the sky looking down at all of us laughing and smiling, just how we will remember you.”
            All of the lovely memories I have of Ashli came to my mind. I begin remembering back in high school how she would call me by a different name every time I would say, “Hi,” to her in the hallway. I remember her wearing a wine colored shirt, matching with Josh, to my Sweet 16 and the funny thing was it wasn't even planned. I remember her laughter, especially since she recorded my eighteenth birthday and all she ever did was laugh. Her laugh was always contagious; we would always laugh with her no matter what the reason was. She was the life of my twenty-first birthday party, which was such a great birthday with so many pictures and just funny moments of being drunk with best friends. I remember listening to Gym Class Heroes, Cupid’s Chokehold in Josh’s car and how she knew the lyrics of every part of the song. All of these memories, became vivid images in my mind, all of these memories will be what remains of Ashli. All of these memories would be what we can look back and remember the good times each one of us had with her. All of these memories will keep Ashli alive in each one of us.           
            June 14, 2013, will hunt me forever because that afternoon at precisely 1:50 p.m. my dearest friend, who I love until this day, passed away in a peaceful sleep forever. She was beautiful, looked very peaceful like she was in no pain when we buried her. The cemetery so close to home actually hit home to all of us and nothing will be the same. The cemetery that I once did not care for, only felt sorry for those lost souls, has become the cemetery I can’t find myself to look at anymore. I know that she is buried in this cemetery, I know that I have a reason to step a foot inside this lonely place of peace, but until today I can’t find myself just yet to go inside.

            It’s hard for each one of us to step in the cemetery, it’s been four months and none of us have the courage to visit her. She was the reason our friendship seemed so perfect even with its imperfections. Remembering her as she was is what we all want to cherish, we don’t want to remember the person she became when she was sick.  It’s too soon to go and see our dearest friend, even though the cemetery should be a place that should unite us all. But we still can’t face the fact that she’s officially gone. We will always remember Ashli, laughing, making jokes and being funny, the way she has always been.  The cemetery that I once did not care for has become the place that has changed everything for each one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment