Forever in a matter of minutes
Curly, short black hair, a bit dark skin and very scruffy around his face. The scruffiness of just couple of days of not shaving, looking like Wolverine from X-Men. Thick eyebrows that hid his tired eyes of working two shifts for two days straight, underneath them. Sitting beside me on my navy blue couch, the same blue couch where we would always hang out when he would come over. This couch where he sat next to me during movie nights at my house. This couch where he sat next to me during the time of my broken ankle.
He looks sad, not very talkative as we watch a show on the television. I noticed that something was bothering him, but didn't ask him anything. He grabs my small hand into his large, rough vein popping hands, as if he were afraid to break me in some way. He slowly looks up into my eyes.
" I'm leaving Angy, I can't stay here anymore.
" What do you mean by leaving?"
" My family and I are going back to Brazil, we are leaving before my father has to appear in front of a judge and before we are deported by immigration."
Silence rooms the air as I try to process every word he just said. I looked at him in disbelief, not knowing what to do or say to him. I hug him tightly, closed my eyes as I slowly inhale the smell if his Armani cologne.
"We leave next Wednesday, before Thanksgiving."
A tear slowly runs down my cheek as I closed my eyes tighter. The navy blue couch that has always been our favorite spot to hang out, became a sea of memories. Memories that I will always cherish. As I hug him tighter, all of the memories spin around us as we just hugged, there in each other arms to what felt like forever in a matter of minutes.
As the memories slowly begin to fade so did my navy blue couch.
No comments:
Post a Comment