Elevator doors open as I step into the fourth floor of the North building. Smells of the unwanted food encircle me as I make my way down this hallway. Dark, blue carpet that masks my every step as I make my way down this long hallway. Beige walls that are decorated with portraits of different landscapes, each one to calm the mood of the environment. Golden numbers mark each room as I slowly pass them. I hear whispers of strangers that are foreign to me as I glance through each room as I walk down this never ending hallway.
I finally arrive to her single room to see her lying there peacefully, sound asleep in her bed. Her bed that waits for her every four or even a month for her arrival. I am welcomed by a green chair that becomes my companion as I sit and quietly watch her sleep. Seeing the small, blue machine controlling her fluids as it slowly enters her bruised veins. Her bruised veins that have been picked, stabbed and even burned, has become thinner and deep within her skin. She's fast asleep as her bruised veins receive the blood that has been lost, receive the iron that her body no longer absorbs and receive the normal saline for hydration. Her bruised veins of black and blue have become the markings of her every admission.
My companion, the green chair has been by my side as I watch her sleep. It has been my comfort, even my bed as I stayed by her side at night. I no longer hear the whispers of strangers that were foreign to me. All I hear are the drops of blood in the small tube dropping one by one as it makes its journey into her bruised veins. I walk over to her quietly, kiss her forehead as she sleeps and whisper, " I love you Mom."
No comments:
Post a Comment