- Skydiving experience
- Breaking a bone and being home schooled
- A hero
- Broken relationship slowing recovering
- An illness that isn't curable
- Medical school-being afraid
- A best friend-turning off the life support machine
- Changing majors so many times- "finding myself"
Idea's of what I might mention in each of the topics above, would be:
1. Skydiving for the first time, the feeling of anxiety and nervousness all bunched up together. The view from so far up in the sky, how it felt being so far up in the atmosphere and then coming down to land. Who I was with and why I decided to go skydiving. What purpose did it have for me? These are some of the questions I would focus on if I were to write my first essay about this experience.
2. Experiencing a broken ankle for the first time, hearing the bone crack and not being able to move. The way I felt from being in the nurses office in high school all the way up to when a doctor in Union Hospital saw me and gave me the wrong diagnosis. Half of my Junior year of high school I was home schooled for the first time and how it felt.
3. A hero, someone who means the world to me and has suffered all her life in order to become the woman I admired the most.
4. This broken relationship does not refer to a boyfriend, girlfriend relationship. In fact it's a brother and sister relationship that was strong, but then became broken to the point we became complete strangers at the dinner table at our family, holiday gatherings. But slowly recovering just like the people who suffered through hurricane Sandy, because it was when we became close.
5. This topic is a very touchy subject for me, which I am experiencing right now even though I'm not the one with an illness that isn't curable. I experience it because I'm the one who takes care of the person with that illness and how that person needs as well as depends on me. Someone who has a special place in my heart and means the world to me.
6. My experience in medical school and how it all changed due to stories, the demanding field, me doubting my capacity in the field as well as the second part of anatomy. Anatomy, the second part in particular was the one that crushed my "dreams" in a way.
7. Saying good bye to someone who was attached to a life support machine was the hardest thing I have ever done this summer. A friendship of eight years, someone who is so close, the one that saw me grow up, the one we would laugh just because her laughter was so contiguous. The hardest thing was that it happened very fast and unexpected. Being there for the family, attending the funeral and crying so much to the point that I couldn't say good bye to her. I don't wish this experience on anyone, and if someone has been through this, I feel their pain because it is hard to shut off a machine while there is brain activity and every organ has failed. Pneumonia turns into a deadly nightmare to many.
8. I have changed my major at least seven times, I have tried everything in almost every major. I needed to see which path would lead me down a bright future. I needed to feel comfortable, being able to make it through, willing to advance and most importantly seeing myself in that field. I call it the cycle of finding one's self.
Wow, you have a huge well of ideas to choose from! I love it. Whichever direction you choose, I think your plethora of experiences will still be a source of guidance in helping you along. It's clear you are a very strong person who isn't afraid of taking chances and risks, which will definitely make whatever you write vibrant. I was wondering, have you considered trying to take a couple of those experiences and sort of juxtapose them? Like the experience of being grounded (when you broke your ankle in high school) to when you went sky diving? Just thinking aloud. Can't wait to see what you pick. :)
ReplyDelete